Thursday 13 November 2014

10 reasons why I'm leaving my job, friends, family and boyfriend

I like lists. I make lists-
  • To keep myself busy;
  • To induce a sense of achievement when I get to cross something off;
  • To give myself something to look forward to;
  • To give some form of organisational structure to my life - both daily and in the long run; and
  • Ultimately - to remind myself of the things I have yet to achieve and experience.

South America has been on my bucket list for a long, long time.

The news of my sudden departure has attracted a few interesting reactions such as:

'Is it because you hate your job?' - No.

'Are you going with your boyfriend?' - No.

'Oh, so you're going with friends, then?' - No (but I'll hopefully be making some).

'Are you scared?' - No.

'So why are you going?'


South America was never a matter of 'if,' but 'when,' so this is why I'm doing it now.
  1. Because travel bug;
  2. Because I've got two years of professional experience working in the media industry, which will make it easier for me to find a job when I get back;
  3. Because this also means I've got two years worth of savings, and I like to spend it on experiences rather than things;
  4. Because I miss hearing, seeing and speaking Spanish;
  5. Because I've been going to the gym an average of 5 times a week for the past year and a half, so I'm never going to be as fit as I am now;
  6. Because I don't have children whose financial expense, comfort and well-being I also need to worry about;
  7. Because I don't have any lease, mortgage or car repayments to either hold me back completely, delay my departure or be an ongoing added expense while away;
  8. Because I'm 25 and can't imagine any other time in my life where it's going to be as easy to take-off for 6 months;
  9. Because I'm ready to go now - and refuse to wait any number of weeks, months or years for someone else to decide they're ready to come with me;
  10. Because I have all the support in the world - from my ex-collegues, friends, family, and partner.
So with all my stars aligning, ¿por quĂ© no?

Watch this space to follow my adventures over the next 6 months. Starting at Quito, I'll be following the dotted line below with Tucan Travel.




Love, Noeline
xox

4 comments:

  1. What you're doing is EXACTLY what I want to do after I work for a little bit (I'm graduating this spring). This really is the best time to backpack South America. Happy traveling!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Katrina! All the best with the rest of your studies :)

      Delete
  2. This is incredible! I would love to do this one day. I would just like to know, how did you stumble across this tour company? Would also love to hear about your thoughts on the tours..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Georgia!

      Toucan Tours was recommended to me through friends who went with them for their trip to Peru.

      Their customer service has been good so far. I'll be writing about my tour experiences over the next 6 months, so be sure to visit my blog regularly, or subscribe for updates :)

      Delete